Coffee is one of those addictions that seems to be socially accepted. Some friends of mine need their five cups per day. But why drink crappy coffee that makes you shaky, addicted and gives you a hard down phase after its caffeine effect fades out?
Biohacking coffee, often known as ‘Bulletproof Coffee’, uses tasty fats to slow down your body’s absorption of caffeine and makes enjoying coffee more like a smooth 2 hour ride instead of a 15 minute rollercoaster. You can add flavours, superfoods and other active nootropics to improve its taste and effect even more.
Ingredients for one cup of Biohacking Coffee (250 ml)
- 15 g of coffee beans for 250 ml of coffee – organic and low in mycotoxins, light to medium roast
- 250 ml water at 94 – 97° C
- 25 g organic grass-fed unsalted butter (or ghee)
- 10 g organic virgin coconut oil
- 10 g collagen powder from grass-fed cows
- Biohacking Chocolate Coffee: 1 piece / 10 grams of 85%+ high-quality dark chocolate (add in the blender)
- Optional powder toppings: Try a pinch of cardamom, cinnamon, or raw cacao sprinkled on the finished coffee.
- Coffee grinder (I use a mid-range Bodum Bistro Electric Burr Coffee Grinder)
- French press coffee maker (My choice: A small Bodum Java, 350 ml, perfect for 1 cup)
- A blender
Instructions for one cup of chocolate biohacking coffee
- Pre-heat the water in a gooseneck kettle with temperature setting or use a normal kettle and measure the water temperature.
- Add butter, coconut oil, collagen, and chocolate to the blender.
- Grind 15 g coffee beans on a coarse setting.
- Add the coarse-ground coffee into your french-press coffee maker and circle pour in 250 ml of hot water (94° C / 200° F)
- When the first drop of water hits the coffee, start the timer (3 minutes and 45 seconds) Hint: Use a kitchen scale with a built-in timer.
- Place the plunger unit on top of the french press. Do not press down fully – just a little bit until the plunger sits 1 cm / 0.4 inches below the water level.
- After 3 minutes and 45 seconds slowly and gently press down the french-press plunger completely. Fill the coffee into your blender.
- Blend for 30 seconds. Pour in a glass and enjoy the buttery creamy taste of the coffee and its long lasting effect.
What’s your favorite biohacking recipe? Let me know in the comments!